Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob

WICED FTDI Chip Programming (2) via Script

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

WICED FTDI Chip Programming (2) via Script

JaeyoungY_71
Employee
Employee
First comment on KBA 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

** This is one of the ways to program an FTDI chip, this might be easier as it only involves one download and double-clicking a script. To use an FTDI config program instead, see following blog post for alternative method.

WICED FTDI chip programming

<FTDI Introduction>

WICED evaluation boards have a FTDI FT2232 chip which provides debug capability with USB to UART+JTAG.

To provide this functionality the FTDI chip must be configured with the correct settings, which is done by programming the EEPROM via USB with the correct settings for the WICED board.

The EEPROM can be programmed using the script in the attachment. The configuration file to be programmed via FT_PROG is also included: BCM9WCD1EVAL1_FTDI.xml

<FTDI Programming>

If you have installed WICED SDK then the drivers should already be installed. Go through the following steps to program the FTDI chip.

1. Download the attachment and extract the contents into a folder.

ftprog.PNG

2.  Run the Prog_BCM9WCD1EVAL1.bat by double-clicking on it. Wait until you see "Re-enumerating Device 0" (You must do through step #1 and extract all the files, otherwise it will not be able to run)

ftprog.PNG

3. Once this has finished successfully, go to Windows Device Manager and you will see the following:

- WICED USB Serial Port (COMx) under Ports

- WICED USB Serial Port B under Universal Serial Bus Controllers

- WICED USB JTAG Port under WICED USB JTAG Devices

ftprog.PNG

4. If it does not program correctly, change the VID/PID in the BCM9WCD1EVAL1_FTDI.xml file.

Note: it is possible that FT_PROG cannot detect your board.  This means that the USB VID/PID of the board do match the default      FTDI VID/PID.  If this is the case you will need to :

• Open Windows Device Manager, and right click the device and select properties. Then select the Details tab and Hardware Ids property. Make a note of the VID/PID
  • Change the VID/PID in the BCM9WCD1EVAL1_FTDI.xml file.

You should be able to download desired image to the board now. Try it out with our basic snip.scan app!

Attachments
Comments
chli_2118906
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

I followed this process exactly and it does work, at least by correctly reprogramming the 93C46 used by the FT2232.  I verified the programming thru the FT_PROG GUI program that reads and displays the entire 93C46 image.  Further, by every detail, it appears to have the same programming.  BTW, the FT_PROG program does not allow you to copy the image because it wants to insert a Serial Number which I was unable to eliminate.  I did not know whether the serial number was screwing up OpenOCD so the method described above is by far the best way to install the image.

Now I am struggling with something related and I wonder if anybody has played with this.  I'm trying to use the Particle.io Photon in my prototypes.  (The final design uses the SMT USI WM-N-BM-09)  The first step is to be able to program the Photon with my new code developed on my BCM943363WCD4_EVB.  Unfortunately, this has not come together like I expected.  I purchased the Photon "Programmer Shield" and started trying to talk to the Photon with the methods Particle has prescribed without success.  I am using Mac OS X for development and I've had exactly zero problems talking to my Broadcom WICED development board.  I have studied to the intimate details of the Photon programmer.  It is almost like they copied the Broadcom board design.  (I say that in a good way, not a bad way...the Broadcom EVB is rock solid and easy to use.)  Fundamentally it is exactly the same design without a set of gates for the external JTAG programmer.   The WICED serial port appears to work and even the JTAG port appears to light based on the LED on the board, but the programming cycle fails with an error:

Downloading Application ...

**** OpenOCD failed - ensure you have installed the driver from the drivers directory, and that the debugger is not running **** In Linux this may be due to USB access permissions. In a virtual machine it may be due to USB passthrough settings. Check in the task list that another OpenOCD process is not running. Check that you have the correct target and JTAG device plugged in. ****

I Have validated the JTAG pins and I have to believe that the STM32F205 in the Photon programs exactly like the STM32F205RG76 on the EVB.  I have not studied the details or possible STM32F205 options that may be set up differently, but I can't believe that USI has significantly changed the design because it is a basic WICED solution.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas it might save me a few hours.  I don't want to build the final PCB until I get the prototypes fully functional with software.  

MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Could I ask you to post this to the Particle space as I am not sure anyone monitors detailed technical questions posted against Help Articles.

gangi seyhan chobberoni jonlogan

Contributors